The demand for Europe Sodium Hydroxide Market in terms of revenue was worth of USD 2,378.0 Million in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 3,242.2 Million in 2028, growing at a CAGR of 2.65% from 2022 to 2028. Versatile applications of the sodium hydroxide have acquired the vital position in the chemical industry. With popular strong base, sodium hydroxide has broad range of uses across different industries. It is used to manufacture soaps, paper, rayon, products that explode, dyes, and petroleum products. Sodium hydroxide can also be used in tasks such as metal cleaning and processing, processing cotton fabric, electroplating, oxide coating, and electrolytic extraction. This is increasingly enhancing the demand for sodium hydroxide among various sectors in Europe.
Several major end use industries of sodium hydroxide, such as aluminium, textile, food & beverage and paper & pulp industries endured a remarkable setback due to the pandemic. The afore-mentioned businesses' products noticed a substantial loss in demand, which in turn triggered sodium hydroxide demand to fall. Altogether, the sodium hydroxide market witnessed a slump owing to the Covid-19 pandemic. Post pandemic period has moderately seen gradual increase in the sodium hydroxide market. Moreover, rising demand for PVC products is one of the key trends for the European sodium hydroxide market. PVC is produced with chlorine as a raw material and the manufacturing of sodium hydroxide releases chlorine as a by-product with directly improves to the value chain of its production. Sodium hydroxide is an essential raw material. Henceforth, the surging demand for PVC and alumina market is significantly impacting the growth of market.
|2018 - 2021
|2022 - 2028
|Market Size in 2021:
|USD 2,378.0 Million
|Base year considered
|Forecast Period CAGR %:
|Market Size Expected in 2028:
|USD 3,242.2 Million
|Tables, Charts & Figures:
|Europe Sodium Hydroxide Companies
|Tosoh, Dow Inc, OxyChem, Westlake Chemical, Olin Corporation, Formosa Plastics Group, Ineos Chlor, AGC Inc., Nouryon Hanwha Solutions, Solvay, LG Chemical, Tokuyama Corporation, SABIC (Europe), Kemira, BASF SE, Others
|By Production Technology, By Form, By End Use
|Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Rest of Europe
Growing demand for soap and detergent segment is one of the factors boosting the growth of sodium hydroxide market in Europe. Sodium hydroxide, lye, is an essential ingredient used in the manufacturing of soaps, cleaners, and detergents. Due to its ability to dissolve oils, grease, fats, and protein-based deposits, sodium hydroxide is extensively used in the production of soap and detergent. There was need for eco-friendly cleaning agents to maintain safety during the pandemic. As a result, the use of detergents and soaps have immensely enhanced as these are high-volume cleaning agent products. For instance; the five main manufacturers of soap and detergents among the EU Member States are Italy, Germany, Spain, France, and Poland. These five countries together reported for 74% of detergents and around 85% of soap produced in the EU in 2018. In 2018, about 12.6 million tonnes of soap and detergents were created in the European Union (EU). As a consequence, due to the Covid-19 crisis, manufacturers are witnessing a boom in demand for soaps and detergents across European countries. However, sodium hydroxide is widely used to manufacture a range of detergents used in homes and commercial applications in soap production. Therefore, all above-mentioned factors are booming the sodium hydroxide market growth in Europe.
Amid skyrocketing completion, prominent players have resorted to mergers, acquisitions, partnership and other business strategies to bolster their position in the Europe sodium hydroxide market for the foreseeable future. Number of players named Tosoh, Dow Chemical, OxyChem, and other are hugely participating in the sodium hydroxide market. For example; in 2020, Germany based distributor Brenntag acquired caustic soda distribution business of Suffolk Solutions Inc., to improve its business network in the U.S. market. In 2021, Olin Corporation signed its new agreement with ASHTA Chemicals, Inc. to buy and sell the chlorine produced at ASHTA's Ashtabula, OH facility. In addition to aforementioned facts, Euro Chlor, the association of chloralkali plant operators in Europe launched three new trees for chlorine, caustic soda and caustic potash in May 2021. All these facts are resulting in the growing demand for sodium hydroxide all across the European countries. Consequently, such key developments in the region are heavily increasing among private businesses as well as government of various countries. All these factors are attributable to expand the market share for sodium hydroxide in the European countries.
Analyst Comment,” Huge demand of sodium hydroxide across various sectors and ongoing strategies by the leading market players are set to enlarge the growth of sodium hydroxide market in Europe and is projected to reach USD 3,242.2 Million in 2028”.
Europe Sodium Hydroxide Market Key Segmenttion:
By Production Technology
By End Use
- Other Inorganics
- Pulp, Paper & Cellulose
- Food Industry
- Alumina & others metals
- Water Treatment
By Regional Analysis
- Rest of Europe
Europe Sodium Hydroxide Market Key Players:
- Dow Inc
- Westlake Chemical
- Olin Corporation
- Formosa Plastics Group
- Ineos Chlor
- AGC Inc.
- Hanwha Solutions
- LG Chemical
- Tokuyama Corporation
- SABIC (Europe)
- BASF SE
Sodium hydroxide (NaOH), also known as caustic soda or lye, is a by-product of sodium hydroxide chlorine production. It is a very versatile substance used in various production processes. Sodium hydroxide is used in the manufacture of paper, aluminum, commercial drain and oven cleaners, and everyday products such as soaps and detergents. Some of the major trends of the Europe Sodium Hydroxide market on the basis of application are:
- a) Sodium Hydroxide in Cleaning & Disinfectant Products:- Sodium hydroxide is utilized to make soaps and a variety of detergents used in commercial and homes applications. Chlorine bleach is made by combining sodium hydroxide and chlorine. Drain cleaners containing sodium hydroxide convert fats and grease so that pipes get stuck in the soap, which dissolves in water. However, sodium hydroxide is used as an industrial cleaning agent where it is called ""caustic"". It is mixed with water, heated, and then used to clean process equipment, storage tanks, etc. It can dissolve deposits based on grease, oil, fat, and protein. It is also used in household properties to clean waste discharge pipes under sinks and drains. For Instance; in 2020, the total market value of the home care and professional hygiene and sanitation sector in Europe was estimated at EUR 41,2 billion (up from EUR 38 billion in 2019). This growth shows how much the industry is contributing to the European economy.
- b) Sodium Hydroxide in Pharmaceuticals & Medicine:- Sodium hydroxide is used to make a variety of drugs and pharmaceutical products, from aspirin to common painkillers to anticoagulants to help prevent blood clots, to cholesterol-lowering drugs. There are many pharmaceutical players are present in Europe. For example; players GlaxoSmithKline (UK), AstraZeneca (UK), Novo Nordisk (Denmark), Merck Group (Germany), Allergan (Ireland) and other several players are working in the Europe market. These pharmaceuticals & medicine companies require a large quantity of sodium hydroxide to manufacture their products, which will also supplement the demand for sodium hydroxide.
- c) Sodium Hydroxide in Energy Sector: - Sodium hydroxide is used in all major hydrogen production methods such as steam methane reforming (SMR), coal gasification, biomass gasification, electrolysis, photochemical and thermochemical. Sodium hydroxide, being alkaline, acts as a catalyst, promoter or precursor. In the energy sector, sodium hydroxide is used in fuel cell production. Fuel cells act like batteries to generate clean and efficient electricity for a variety of applications, including transportation; material handling; and stable, portable and emergency backup power applications. Epoxy resins made from sodium hydroxide are used in wind turbines. For example, the total annual production of hydrogen in Europe is in the range of 9.756 Mt (merchant hydrogen and purposely produced hydrogen, and not hydrogen produced as a by-product). The majority of hydrogen consumption is associated with two industries: oil refineries (ca. 52%) and ammonia production (ca. 43%) the rest is other industrial use (ca. 2%). In Europe, oil refineries account for approximately at 30% and ammonia at 50%. Together with methanol production (ca. 5%) and use in metal industries (ca. 3%), these four sectors correspond to 90% of the total hydrogen consumption in Europe.
- d) Sodium Hydroxide in Water Treatment: - Municipal water treatment facilities use sodium hydroxide to control water acidity and remove heavy metals from the water. Sodium hydroxide is also used to make sodium hypochlorite, a water disinfectant. Furthermore, sodium hydroxide is used in drinking water treatments to raise the pH of water to a level that reduces rust. Raising the pH is one of the most effective methods to reduce lead rust and reduce lead levels in drinking water. For the last few years, a large amount of wastewater treatment is being done in Europe. The treatment of urban wastewater is fundamental to ensuring public health and environmental protection. Urban wastewater treatment in all parts of Europe has improved over the last 30-40 years. In 2017, most European countries collected and treated sewage to tertiary level from most of their population. In EU-27 countries (EEA 2020), 69 % of the population were connected to tertiary level treatment and 13 % to secondary level treatment. On November 19th, 2021; on the occasion of World Toilet Day, the European Commission and the European Environment Agency publicized new data which indicates that over 90% of Europe's urban waste waters was collected and treated in line with Europe standards.
- e) Sodium Hydroxide in Food Production: - Sodium hydroxide is used as yeast in bread. It is one of the most widely used applications of sodium hydroxide as a food processing ingredient in breading and dough processing. Sodium hydroxide is used in many food processing applications, such as treating substances such as olives or helping to brown Bavarian-style pretzels, giving them their characteristic crunch. Sodium hydroxide is used to remove the skin for canning from tomatoes, potatoes, and other fruits and vegetables, and is also used as an ingredient in food preservatives to help prevent the growth of fungi and bacteria in food. And, several statistics show that a considerable amount of packaged food is produced in Europe. Also, the consumption of packaged food is also extensive in Europe. Despite this, around two-thirds of Europe's food and drink exports are predestined for the single market. At the same time, the European Union is the world's largest exporter of food and beverage products, with extra-EU exports reaching EUR 145 billion. From this, it is understood that the production of packaged food and bakery food in Europe is high. Sodium Hydroxide is also a big part of this.
- f) Sodium Hydroxide in Wood & Paper Products: - In many paper-making processes, wood is processed with a solution containing sodium sulfide and sodium hydroxide. This helps to dissolve most of the undesirable material in the wood, leaving relatively pure cellulose, which forms the basis of the paper. In the paper recycling process, sodium hydroxide is used to separate the ink from the paper fibers so that the paper fibers can be reused. Sodium hydroxide is also used in raw materials for wood products such as cabinets and furniture and for wood bleaching and cleaning. And the amount of paper production in Europe is increasing significantly. Despite the impact of the pandemic on the availability and quality of paper for recycling, the European recycling rate increased by 1.4 percentage points and reached 73.9% in 2020. Looking back at progress since 1998 the base year for the first voluntary commitment set in the European Declaration on Paper Recycling has increased by 40% or 16.0 million tons.
- g) Sodium Hydroxide in Aluminum Ore Processing: - Sodium hydroxide is also used to extract alumina from naturally occurring minerals. Alumina is used to make a variety of products, including aluminum and foil, cans, kitchen utensils, beer cages, and aircraft parts. In building and construction, aluminum is used in materials that enable the facade and window frames of the building. Predictions by AlSical partner European Aluminium state that by 2050 global demand for primary aluminium is expected to increase by 50% reaching about 110 million tonnes. Today, aluminium is mostly produced from bauxite, arising from different sources. Aluminium is an abundant metal in high demand, due to its desired properties and application possibilities for everyday usage. Predictions by AlSical partner European Aluminium state that by 2050 global demand for primary aluminium is expected to increase by 50% reaching about 110 million tonnes. Today, aluminium is mostly produced from bauxite, arising from different sources. About 7 Mt/year of alumina is produced in Europe, i.e. 7% of the global production which reaches 130 Mt/year. This generates about 5-6 Mt/year of bauxite residue in Europe.
- h) Sodium Hydroxide in Other Industrial Manufacturing Uses: - Sodium hydroxide is used in many other industrial and manufacturing processes. It is used to make rayon, spandex, ammonia, epoxy resins, paints, glass, and ceramics. It is used in the textile industry for dyeing, processing, and laundering of cotton fabrics as well as in metal cleaning and processing, oxide coating, electroplating, and electrolytic extracting.
The use of sodium hydroxide has increased in the mentioned industries; hence all these industries are included in the trending section of Europe sodium hydroxide market.
Key Benefits for Europe Sodium Hydroxide Industry Report–
- Europe Sodium Hydroxide Industry report covers in-depth historical, types of fumigants, and forecast analysis.
- Europe Sodium Hydroxide Industry research report provides detailed information about Market Introduction, agricultural fumigants companies, Market Summary, Europe market Revenue (Revenue USD), Market Drivers, Market Restraints, Market opportunities, Competitive Analysis, and Regional Country Level.
- Europe Sodium Hydroxide Industry report helps to identify opportunities in the marketplace.
- Europe Sodium Hydroxide Industry report covers extensive analysis of emerging trends and the competitive landscape.